POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : without light, why are my objects not black : Re: without light, why are my objects not black Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: without light, why are my objects not black
From: oldmicah
Date: 9 Jul 2003 18:10:01
Message: <web.3f0c91c95c737d0e9cfc34200@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:
>Read carefully paragraphs in "6.7.3.1  Ambient" chapter in POV manual.

Embarassingly enough, you don't even need to read it carefully.  Never
occurred to me that ambient default might be something other than 0.  It
works well and many thanks.

So then I added Wood texture to the shelves, and I immediately ran into the
same glow in the dark shelves.  initially I tried this:
texture { T_Wood2 }
finish { diffuse 0.8 ambient 0 }

no luck, so then, thinking that the finish needed to be applied directly to
the texture, not to the object, I tried this:
texture { T_Wood2 finish {diffuse 0.8 ambient 0 }}

Still no luck.  Looking at Woods.inc, I don't see that they have zero'd out
the ambient in the textures, so I'm guessing that I will have to manually
copy and paste bits from woods.inc and roll my own wood textures
incorporating 'finish {ambient 0}'.

Is there an easier way?  Will I have to do this with all of the 'canned'
textures included with POV?

thanks, and apologies in adv if this is another rtm question,
Steve